Is a blocked drain an emergency?
It has happened to us all and at some point in your life you will be faced with a blocked drain. Whether it is your kitchen, your bathroom or your outside drain we know that blocked drains in Liverpool and the rest of the UK are the bane of many people’s lives. Every home relies on pipes and drains to ensure that water and waste drains away from the house properly, and if these are not properly maintained and clear then it can cause some very soggy problems in your house or garden! Luckily, as experts in drain repairs, Liverpool, here at Mersey Rod we have put together a handy guide to make sure that a blocked drain does not become an emergency for you and your family.
Signs of blocked drains in Liverpool
If you know what to look out for, then a blocked drain does not need to escalate into an emergency. A blocked drain can cause unwanted stress and can be costly if it is not caught in time. Signs to look for that are associated with blocked drains are:
Slow Drainage – if there is a blockage in your drains, then naturally the water cannot flow through the pipes correctly. This results in water draining away slowly as it tries to filter around the blockage.
Unpleasant odours – blocked drains tend to emit a horrible and unpleasant odour and is normally one of the first signs that you have blocked drains. Normally, this occurs in your kitchen sink as the food that has become stuck starts to decompose, and unfortunately smells even worse once hot water has been poured on top of it!! If you notice this smell, call our experts in blocked drains in Liverpool and seek advice as there may be a simple solution.
Gurgling sounds – When your drains or plug holes make a gurgling sound it could mean that there is a blockage. Air is trapped inside the pipe by blockage and the gurgling sound is the air escaping when you run the water.
Raised water levels – probably one of the easiest signs to spot but if the water level in your toilet rises higher than normal then there is definitely something blocked in the drains. If the water rises to the point of overflowing, then this can indicate a much more serious blockage, and you need to call us to come and sort out your drain repairs in Liverpool as there is no home fix for this.
What causes a blocked drain?
As the experts in drain repairs in Liverpool, we have put together the top 5 reasons that can cause your drains to become blocked. Hopefully, this list can help you to try and prevent your drains in Liverpool from becoming a block drain emergency.
- Foreign and inappropriate items being flushed down the toilet – when you are taking makeup off at night, or you have wiped round the bathroom with an antibacterial wipe you may think what is the harm of flushing this down the toilet? Well, one wipe might not block your toilet, but these do not disintegrate and over time build up to form a blockage. It is not just wipes either – sanitary products, cotton wool buds and even hair contribute to this. So if you want to avoid blocked drains in Liverpool, try putting a small bin in your bathroom to avoid accidental items being flushed down the toilet.
- Grease and fat – another one that is area specific, but you should definitely avoid pouring fat and grease down your kitchen sink. Unfortunately, it is a habit that most of us think we can get away with, but again this is something that slowly builds up to form blocked drains. The grease and fat that is normally warm when being poured down the sink cools and sticks to the inside of your pipes. If you want to avoid calling drain unblockers in Liverpool, then you need to make sure that, after cooking, your grease and fat are disposed of properly. Try pouring these into an empty bottle or pot and then throw them in the bin.
- Leaves and other outdoor items – one that most people tend to overlook when thinking about their drains in Liverpool, but blocked drains are commonly caused by leaves and dirt and debris being blown or washed down the outdoor drain. Avoiding this problem can be difficult, as you cannot control if it decides to blow a gale or rain! However, keeping your garden tidy and investing in a drain cover can help to prevent this type of blocked drain. If the problem becomes an occurring theme, then our drain unblocking Liverpool experts are always on hand to come and sort the problem and give you more advice.
- Hair – although it may not seem that strands of hair can cause something as serious and stressful as a blocked drain, but just like the wipes, hair can build up over time and stop water from passing through it completely. If you want to keep your drains in Liverpool clean and hair free, then regular inspections of plug holes are recommended, as well as looking for hair catching products so you can remove the hair before it gets into the middle of the pipes.
- Mineral build up – the minerals that are dissolved in hard water are something that your drains in Liverpool are familiar with. These can build up into large masses that will easily block your drains if they are left unattended. Unfortunately as we do have hard water around here, there isn’t a lot you can do here to stop minerals causing blocked drains in Liverpool. You could install a water softener to help, but if you do need drain repairs, Liverpool, then call us at Mersey Rod and we will come and sort it for you.